Before Kennett High School (KHS) students set off into the world, all must first showcase their preparedness through the completion of school, district and state graduation requirements:
A Kennett High School tradition, all students begin work on a graduation project as early as freshman year. Through completion of the following components, students demonstrate that they will become productive members of their community:
- Investigation of a career pathway via the freshman seminar;
- Engagement in 20 hours of community service;
- Completion of a cover letter, resume and mock interview; and
- Active participation in articulated programming.
In order to be eligible for graduation, all students must have accumulated 25.2 credits.
According to the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), PA high school students are required to demonstrate academic proficiency through one of its recently-expanded Pathways to Graduation. Students may now:
- Achieve Keystone Exam proficiency in Algebra, Biology & Literature;
- Earn a Keystone composite score of 4452 or higher;
- Complete an alternative assessment;
- PSAT of 970+
- SAT of 1010+
- ACT of 21+
- Acceptance into a four-year institution of higher education
- Demonstrate success in career and technical education; or
- Successfully complete 4-semesters at TCHS and/or OHSPSA (Technical College High School/Octorara Homeland Security and Protective Services Academy)
- Provide three pieces of approved college and career readiness evidence.
- Industry-recognized credentialization (For example, CPR Certification)
- Acceptance into a 2-year accredited non-profit institution
- Attainment of Proficient or Advanced on ANY Keystone exam
- Successful completion of the KHS Graduation Project
- Guaranteed letter of employment or military enlistment
These recent changes are a result of the adoption of Act 158, which aims to shift Pennsylvania’s reliance on high-stakes testing to accommodate the diverse learning styles of all students.
For more information, please visit the Act 158: Pathways to Graduation Toolkit.
Support for Success
At KHS, we understand that education is a journey. We’re here to guide your child every step of the way! Principals and school counselors will be in constant communication. However, should you or they have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us anytime.