The first day of school is August 3oth!
The Pennsylvania General Assembly once again amended the Child Protective Services Law (Act 153) in July of 2015 through what is known as Act 15 of 2015. Significant changes to the background check requirements have been made, and the highlights to the law are summarized in this document below.
Act 15 defines direct volunteer contact as the care, supervision, guidance, or control of children and routine interaction with children. Routine interaction is defined as regular and repeated contact that is integral to a person’s employment or volunteer responsibilities. Clearances are only valid for 5 years.
- Effective July 1, 2016 or by adoption of a new School Board policy, volunteers must have clearances in order to be approved to offer their services in the schools.
- All Pennsylvania background checks are now valid for a five (5) year period.
- All fees associated with background checks have been waived with the exception of the Act 114 Federal Criminal Background Check for those who do not qualify for the waiver. Although Act 15 does provide a few exemptions within the law, effective August 31, 2015, the Kennett Consolidated School District will be requiring background clearances from all volunteers who are supervising children in an effort to ensure the health, welfare, and safety of all students.
- If a volunteer has continuously resided in Pennsylvania for 10 years AND swears in writing that he or she has never been convicted of a disqualifying crime in Pennsylvania or the corresponding offenses under the laws of any other jurisdiction, they only need to secure the Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse Clearance (Act 151) and the Pennsylvania Criminal History Check (Act 34); the Federal Clearance (Act 114) is not needed.
For more info: Staff Clearance Forms & Information
Volunteers may obtain these clearances by applying online at the following websites:
- Act 34 PA State Criminal Record Check
- Act 114 Federal Criminal Background Check –USE SERVICE CODE 1KG6Y3 (Fee $22.60) / Non-Volunteers, Outside Contractors, Employees – Use Service Code 1KG6XN OR access the fingerprint waiver click here. (For Best Results use Google Chrome as your browser for the Act 114)
- Act 151 Child Abuse History(Must create new account to complete online) – For Best Results use Internet Explorer, FireFox or Safari as your browser for the Act 151.
- The volunteer acknowledgement form please click here.
Once obtained the clearances must be submitted to the school principal by mail, dropoff or email to Kimberly Giacoio at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions may be directed to 610.444.6623.
Once approved, please remember that you must:
- Schedule an appointment to visit
- Must provide a valid state issued photo identification
- Will be required to wear a visitor’s badge while in the building